Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

S3 whirl noise

Reactions
Not sure if this has been posted before so sorry if have.

I have a 2009 s3 and been having noise come from rear. Had the diff oil changed no gremlins in oil had the Hadex oil changed to again all good. Just wondering if it could be the swagg joint as I had this inspected and is a tear in rubber. This noise is really noticeable at 40mph and around 75mph. Don’t think it’s the wheel bearings as the noise doesn’t get louder around curves etc.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
It could be, whenever there is a tear in the rubber all the grease inside is going to leak.

OP
G
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Sorry but it’s a thick rubber seal that goes inbetween the prop shaft and the rear diff. It’s there to takeaway away vibration. So being a tear I was wondering if this could be the source?

RS3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
Sorry but it’s a thick rubber seal that goes inbetween the prop shaft and the rear diff. It’s there to takeaway away vibration. So being a tear I was wondering if this could be the source?
I don't think that will cause the vibration if it's not a moving part. However it wouldn't hurt to replace any torn seals.

OP
G

Gixxer1186

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Of course it’s a moving part, It’s joined to a prop shaft!!

RS3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
Of course it’s a moving part, It’s joined to a prop shaft!!
Wait are you referring to the rubber coupler that kind of looks like this? I thought you were referring to some seal.
coupler.jpg

OP
G

Gixxer1186

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
That’s it or referred to a ‘Swagg joint’ if deficient can cause noise apparently just wondering if anyone else had same problem.