Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Wiper Blade Skipping - Front windshield being Replaced

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
A few months ago I posted that Audi had a TSB to polish the front windshield to correct a skipping wiper blade. Audi even put new blades on. Well today is my 5000 mile checkup and they are replacing the entire front windshield. I sent a dozen emails with attached video of it actually malfunctioning in the rain to get to this point. According to some expert that has seen this before it's the windshield.

I hope this fixes it.

I'll let everyone know how this turns out. If my memory serves me someone in California was also having this issue.

Last edited:

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Wow thats crazy, yes please us updated.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Curious too.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #4
UPDATE: Yes! My windshield wipers are working flawlessly now. We have had an above average amount of rain so far this year and having noisy wipers that skip and flop around on the windshield can definetly ruin the driving experience that I paid good money to enjoy. I've only been able to test in light rain but they seem to be performing as they should.

I can't help but think there are others with this problem. If you live in a dry climate you might not ever know as they didn't malfunction using the washer fluid. Here is my VIN minus the final six digits in case there was a batch of bad windshields produced:
WAUB1GFF1H1xxxxxx

I hope mine was a one off issue but if you are having wiper issues, especially on the driverside - I recommend having Audi replace the windshield while it's under warranty.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Interesting, did they show you which area needed to be polished?

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #6
No, but the driver side wiper wasn't making contact on the lower and upper end by about 4" each and then after a few minutes of use it would start skipping and making a irritatingly loud squeaky sound.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #7
Update It’s been nearly 3 years and since the chattering wiper blade has never been resolved I thought Iwould address it one more time before my factory warranty expires. (BTW - thechattering Wiper Blade seems to be an A3 / S3 issue going back many model years).

What I didn’t expect is how AudiUSA washed their hands of it. Here is their response: “We understand when purchasing a luxury vehicle you don't expect concerns to arise. However, our resources show the chattering you're experiencing has been reviewed by multiple resources and it has been diagnosed as operating as designed. We regret to learn this has negatively impacted your Audi experience and will ensure this information is documented for our records. While we are unable to assist with this concern, should any new information become available, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us.”

Let me be clear: I love everything else about this car except its inability to clear water off my windshield w/o causing such a distraction. If anyone has found a solution let me know. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA because I don’t think using Aquapel or RainX and keeping the wipers off is safe or the right solution.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #8
Correction: per an email I just received from the shop foreman they did not polish the windshield because I have been using the orange RainX washer fluid (which Audi discourages). Instead, they replaced the Audi OEMblades with Bosch blades. Not to jinx anything but they performed flawlessly on my 45 minute drive home in moderate rain. If these work I will f/u with the Bosch wiper blade part#. I have tried many blades over the past couple years and never found any that fit on in a smooth fashion.

Thanks for letting me rant, but Audi USA’s response rubbed me the wrong way.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #9
So far so good: Bosch Icon 26OE (Clear Max 365) and Bosch Icon 19OE (Clear Max 365) Use Adapter #4 for both Autozone $27.99 + $25.99 - $10.00 Online coupon $43.98