Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

What Black Optic should look like...

Brad_B

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Not quite perfect but close enough to show for now. Yes, the center caps will be black soon. They were supposed to be left off when the rims were taken off so I could spray them.

Following simple mods: matte black powder coated rims (they look shiny but they are matte), all matte black badging, removed front license plate (not required in my state if there is no bracket so I removed the bracket), and dark window tint.

Next up: matte black exhaust when I go to APR Stage2.

Pics:

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
That looks beautiful!

Also what products are you using on the paint? Paint looks flawless.

AlltrackMike

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Very nice

OP
Brad_B

Brad_B

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Thread Starter #4
Thanks. In my opinion, it is the black badging that really does it.

Also what products are you using on the paint? Paint looks flawless.
I really did not use anything special. I just used Armor All ultra shine wash and wax and then a Meguirar's hot shine aerosol that I have not used before on the tires. I just did it all by hand in sections. It was a pretty hot day so everything dried well and I just misted over each section to try and avoid spotting. It did come out about as good as I have ever done.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Did you use paint or plasti-dip on the grill?

OP
Brad_B

Brad_B

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Thread Starter #6
Did you use paint or plasti-dip on the grill?
Neither. The bulk of the grille is as is with the black optic package with the license plate holder removed. The rings and S3 emblems (both grill and back) were bought in black matte finish from http://www.audibadges.com/

I had no problem with the vendor or fitment of any of the badges and they were surprisingly pretty cheap.

Other stuff: the rims are powder coated and the lug nuts have new black plastic lug nut covers (about $20 from Amazon). The last piece is the center caps. My plan is to remove, sand, primer, and spray myself. I know their are vendors who sell replacement center caps, but most of the reviews are erratic on fitment and quality so I am hesitant to purchase replacement caps. I plan to remove the caps with the rims off.

DRTJRZY

Reactions
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
I agree with your vision for what the black optics package should look lkke. Only thing that should be included was a smoked tail lights of some sort.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Love the look, are you going to black out the mirror caps too?

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Thanks for that link.

Neither. The bulk of the grille is as is with the black optic package with the license plate holder removed. The rings and S3 emblems (both grill and back) were bought in black matte finish from http://www.audibadges.com/

I had no problem with the vendor or fitment of any of the badges and they were surprisingly pretty cheap.

Other stuff: the rims are powder coated and the lug nuts have new black plastic lug nut covers (about $20 from Amazon). The last piece is the center caps. My plan is to remove, sand, primer, and spray myself. I know their are vendors who sell replacement center caps, but most of the reviews are erratic on fitment and quality so I am hesitant to purchase replacement caps. I plan to remove the caps with the rims off.

S3u4ic

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
I'm also thinking the exhaust tips need to go black, just sayin'

OP
Brad_B

Brad_B

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Thread Starter #11
I'm also thinking the exhaust tips need to go black, just sayin'
Already on the list... I am planning on going with APR stage2 and as part of that I am going to go with some form of new exhaust which will be black.

jfglass

Reactions
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3

I dunno. I like the wee bits of chrome left with the stock Black Optic option