Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Smell Coolant

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
I smelled coolant yesterday stronger than normal and verified the reservoir was below the min mark. Using a flashlight I found a small puddle of coolant directly below the window washer fluid reservoir on the protective shield ( which is why I never saw any on the driveway.) I suspect the thermostat housing / waterpump and will let everyone know for sure when it's fixed. I currently have 19500 mile on the car and everything is still under warranty.

PS: I didn't have access to some G13 coolant so I used Peak Original Equipment Technology for European vehicles Audi 2006 and later 50/50. It is violet but does not say G13 anywhere.

Update: Preasure test revealed a cracked thermostat housing. The factory water pump was metal but the thermostat housing is plastic. I was unable to find an aftermarket version made from cast aluminum, so I expect to revisit this issue not long after my warranty expires. Argh!!!

Last edited:
OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #2
Update with 2 images. So less than a 1000 miles since getting the thermostat housing replaced I noticed my coolant level was ever so slowly going down. (I would check with the engine cold to get an accurate measurement). Thinking maybe some air was being bled off I was patient until I could see coolant collecting on the undershielding. This is a slow leak and if my car wasn’t under warranty I would just monitor and add, but because we have outdoor cats (G13 does have some glycol) I opted to get it fixed now. Here are 2 images of the leaking water pump.

Attachments