Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Need Help!!!

SethMoir

Reactions
City
Kintore
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volkswagen Scirroco
Hi there, So basically I need help to chose a car. I have been looking at either the 140i or an S3. Now I've been on the BMW forums and obviously they all think the BMW is far better so I have some questions for you owners.
Ive read that this car gets a bit boring after you've driven it for a long period of time (I guess just because the fact it is so easy to drive)? I've also read that you can have some bad under steer?
I live in the UK so as you can all tell the weather here is dreadful so the quattro system is quite attractive for me compare to the rear wheel drive of the BMW (which mixed with the rain here could go very wrong).
Hope everyone is well and would be much appreciated if someone could answer these questions and maybe add some introspective of what its really like to own one.
Thanks.

OP
S

SethMoir

Reactions
City
Kintore
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volkswagen Scirroco
Thread Starter #2
I also know someone who has an A4 and they cant stop going through tyres, is this the same for the S3?

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
The stock tires on the S3 is designed for performance so the lifespan is not that great. You can always switch to longer lasting tires.

OP
S

SethMoir

Reactions
City
Kintore
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volkswagen Scirroco
Thread Starter #4
The stock tires on the S3 is designed for performance so the lifespan is not that great. You can always switch to longer lasting tires.
Okay thank you

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
It all depends what you're after the s3 is plenty fun and having owned a e46 m3 I still enjoy the versatility of the s3 vs my m3. Though the suspension in my s3 is a lot stiffer. I had go to a non-standard tire size 245/35/19 to smooth out the harsh ride of the s3. Some people like it that stiff but even in comfort it was still to harsh for my tastes.
I also went with Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires so tread wear isn't an issue. I don't have any issues with traction using an all season tire.

I just love the interiors of Audi's there's something about them that make you feel so good driving. Haven't been in a BMW for a few years but they felt dated even when I first picked up my 2005 M3.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Don't get me wrong though I love both brands. I love cars in general and am not a fanboy of any particular make.
Enjoying my daily beater Mini Cooper S even with their problems I do enjoy driving them a lot.

OP
S

SethMoir

Reactions
City
Kintore
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volkswagen Scirroco
Thread Starter #7
It all depends what you're after the s3 is plenty fun and having owned a e46 m3 I still enjoy the versatility of the s3 vs my m3. Though the suspension in my s3 is a lot stiffer. I had go to a non-standard tire size 245/35/19 to smooth out the harsh ride of the s3. Some people like it that stiff but even in comfort it was still to harsh for my tastes.
I also went with Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires so tread wear isn't an issue. I don't have any issues with traction using an all season tire.

I just love the interiors of Audi's there's something about them that make you feel so good driving. Haven't been in a BMW for a few years but they felt dated even when I first picked up my 2005 M3.
Yeah to me there's nothing like an Audi and that's what is drawing me in. Roads are quite harsh where I live but i'm sure I could figure something out. Thanks for your help its much appreciated and I hope to send you an update if I get one.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Yeah to me there's nothing like an Audi and that's what is drawing me in. Roads are quite harsh where I live but i'm sure I could figure something out. Thanks for your help its much appreciated and I hope to send you an update if I get one.

No Problem. I ran a set of 18" for a while until I found out that I could go with the little higher and wider tire on stock rims. it didn't look to bad as seen below. But the appearance is much better with the 19". The 18's were a much smoother ride even then the larger tires I'm running now. I have these rims and tires up for sale now I just have no use for them now that I mixed in another car for winter driving.

20190112_133141.jpg

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Here are the 19's

20190826_171148.jpg

OP
S

SethMoir

Reactions
City
Kintore
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volkswagen Scirroco
Thread Starter #10

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Oof Shes beautiful. Yeah can always give it a go, if the 19" are that bad then I can always sacrafice style for a bit of comfort but we will see.
Thank you. It's not to bad with the non-standard size 245/35/19" you get 3.5mm more sidewall vs the sock 235/35/19's not much but it makes a difference in ride quality.

OP
S

SethMoir

Reactions
City
Kintore
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Volkswagen Scirroco
Thread Starter #12
Thank you. It's not to bad with the non-standard size 245/35/19" you get 3.5mm more sidewall vs the sock 235/35/19's not much but it makes a difference in ride quality.
Oh right okay, ill need to have a look into that then thank you.