Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Do you change the oil yourself?

KoRe401

Reactions
City
Rhode Island
State
RI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Premium Plus
Hey Folks, at $100 for an oil change it seems very likely that I will do it myself going forward. Couple of questions for the group:

1. Do you drain it or use an extractor pump? (If extractor, what brand/model?)
2. How often? (From what I have seen the interval is 10k)

TIA!

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Funny you ask I just did my first on the S today. When I originally purchased the car they did it for me so this is my first look at this car. It varies for me with cars I use an extractor when I'm feeling lazy but I wanted to check out the underside of the car and clean the back of the red calipers so I figured I'd do it the normal way.
I typically start thinking about a change on any car at 5k and then just do it before 6-7k. 7k is pushing it for me though I don't typically go more than 6k regardless of the recommended interval.

So much plastic on the S that pan scares me with rocks I'm surprised there is no shield. I did pick up the special vw tool and a bunch of new plugs since these pan use a disposable plastic drain plug. I suppose a screwdriver would work for the plug.
It's really a simple oil change if you do it yourself. Plugs and filters I picked up at https://www.ecstuning.com/

OP
KoRe401

KoRe401

Reactions
City
Rhode Island
State
RI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Premium Plus
Thread Starter #3
^Good stuff! I will definitely do it myself next time. I'm leaning towards the extractor pump method as it would be easier to keep everything clean, faster plus I really hate getting under cars. What oil did you go with? I guess I would go with Mobil One Synthetic.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
Yup I typically use mobile one. Though I do have some Castrol but that's just for the beater and wife's car :)
I also hate getting under cars with jackstands which is why I picked up a quickjack. Ramps would be fine for an oil change though. Don't mind the rims these are my winter set which I'm selling since I'm not going to be driving the S in the winter.

20190705_105106.jpg

SW_S3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Yup I typically use mobile one. Though I do have some Castrol but that's just for the beater and wife's car :)
I also hate getting under cars with jackstands which is why I picked up a quickjack. Ramps would be fine for an oil change though. Don't mind the rims these are my winter set which I'm selling since I'm not going to be driving the S in the winter.

View attachment 625
How do you like the quickjack? Can you post the model # and pad adapters? LWB? Any issues with it? The lift pads just center on the seams at the jackpoints? This is by far the worst car I have ever owned to lift. I have ramps and good jacks and stands but have not found it easy to keep the lift process safe to get all 4 corners off. I also run snows and do all my own maintenance but DO drive it all winter with 17" Sparcos and snows. Do you have enough room under for an easy Haldex oil change? Thanks!

SW_S3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
^Good stuff! I will definitely do it myself next time. I'm leaning towards the extractor pump method as it would be easier to keep everything clean, faster plus I really hate getting under cars. What oil did you go with? I guess I would go with Mobil One Synthetic.
I posted in the oil question forum on this, Ravenol.

ViperG

Staff Team
Reactions
City
Philedelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Viper Green S3
How do you like the quickjack? Can you post the model # and pad adapters? LWB? Any issues with it? The lift pads just center on the seams at the jackpoints? This is by far the worst car I have ever owned to lift. I have ramps and good jacks and stands but have not found it easy to keep the lift process safe to get all 4 corners off. I also run snows and do all my own maintenance but DO drive it all winter with 17" Sparcos and snows. Do you have enough room under for an easy Haldex oil change? Thanks!
Love it haven't had any issues with it. Great product. Mine is the quickjack 5000 no issues reaching the pinch welds. Works great for haldex or really anything. I feel a lot safer under the car.

I picked up the pinch welds blocks with mine. But you could use it without. Here's me lifting it a bit not even to the first position.

View: https://youtu.be/p6ztIHp1kqs

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Hey Folks, at $100 for an oil change it seems very likely that I will do it myself going forward. Couple of questions for the group:

1. Do you drain it or use an extractor pump? (If extractor, what brand/model?)
2. How often? (From what I have seen the interval is 10k)

TIA!
i alternate the method. the dealerships do the pump all the time so i think doing the pump is fine for a couple of implementations but i do drain it at least by the 4th or 5th. never past the 5th.
i do it at 5k. i feel its in my head because the oil looks fine at 10k as long as i use my oil. the dealership oil seems to change color quicker. hot sure why as they say they do use castrol and i also use castrol myself.

i think the oil changes are the easiest part of maintenance for this car. dsg and haldex is more involved. i dont have anything else break yet so i can say there is much to do.
the list of things i know we should be doing often at the minimum are:
oil
air filter
oil filter
dsg flush
haldex flush
spark plugs
coolant (this one most people dont do) this should be done pretty often as well
brake flush

the brakes flush and coolant should be at least by 20k miles. its a good habit to do and these cars seems to require it to be fresh or things kinda go south quickly from what i can tell.