Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Update Map Database Issues

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
So I received a prompt back in Dec to update my map database. I didn?t want to eat up my allotted 6 gigs that came with my $399 18 month or 6 gig whichever comes first ATT connectivity. So I watched all the YouTube videos showing how I can go to Audi USA / My Audi /Services and download lates map update to SD card or in my case I chose a 64 gig USB 3.0 drive. I had problems getting the java .jnlp file to launch and download the database but my neighbor (IT guru) had no problem. He chose the complete 15 gig package (covers the entire US not just regions).

I inserted the USB drive turned on the car used the MMI to go to Audi Connect, left click and scroll down to update software, enter update map database software, it gives me 5 options one being the USB drive. I choose it , it reads for about 30 seconds and then says ?can?t read the drive?. Has anyone else updated their map database? If so, can you do the complete set or just regions? Lastly, if this doesn?t work. I?m going to wait till Dec just before my Audi Connect is set to expire and just use the cars connection to the internet to download. The only problem doing it this way is the drain it puts on the car battery. I just hate the thought of paying a couple hundred bucks just to get this done by the dealer.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Yes! Got it to work! I downloaded just the region that contains the state in which I live...and it worked flawlessly! I?m not sure what it would have cost at the dealership but my maps are now 2018 and I have a reusable USB drive to use next year. PS: and drive was formatted FAT32.

Last edited:
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
So I received a prompt back in Dec to update my map database. I didn?t want to eat up my allotted 6 gigs that came with my $399 18 month or 6 gig whichever comes first ATT connectivity. So I watched all the YouTube videos showing how I can go to Audi USA / My Audi /Services and download lates map update to SD card or in my case I chose a 64 gig USB 3.0 drive. I had problems getting the java .jnlp file to launch and download the database but my neighbor (IT guru) had no problem. He chose the complete 15 gig package (covers the entire US not just regions).

I inserted the USB drive turned on the car used the MMI to go to Audi Connect, left click and scroll down to update software, enter update map database software, it gives me 5 options one being the USB drive. I choose it , it reads for about 30 seconds and then says ?can?t read the drive?. Has anyone else updated their map database? If so, can you do the complete set or just regions? Lastly, if this doesn?t work. I?m going to wait till Dec just before my Audi Connect is set to expire and just use the cars connection to the internet to download. The only problem doing it this way is the drain it puts on the car battery. I just hate the thought of paying a couple hundred bucks just to get this done by the dealer.

Any thoughts?
How did you format the USB drive? It has to be either FAT or FAT32, otherwise the MMI can't read it.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #3
It was FAT32

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
[MENTION=445]KenMoore[/MENTION] try using a USB 2.0 Drive as well. Couple of times my S3 wouldn't recognize a 3.0 drive.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #5
I wondered about that and thought surely a car bought in Dec 2016 must use USB 3.0... I have decided to wait till December and just use the cars WiFi signal to download my region only.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
I wondered about that and thought surely a car bought in Dec 2016 must use USB 3.0... I have decided to wait till December and just use the cars WiFi signal to download my region only.
I think its more of a manufacturer issue rather than USB 3.0 support issue. I know the S3 does support USB 3.0.

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #7
Problem solved, see UPDATE in original post.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Problem solved, see UPDATE in original post.
Excellent, glad it worked out. Was there any visual changes in the navigation map after the update?

OP
KenMoore

KenMoore

Reactions
State
OK
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
Thread Starter #9
I?m sure there are plenty of changes, especially with all the new construction. As far as the Google earth overlay on top of the map I believe that is provided over the Internet connection. I live in a small town and never really use the Navigation feature but it?s nice to know I can keep it up to date if I ever choose to travel.