Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Transmission/Drivetrain Swap

NotSane

Reactions
City
Kenosha
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2007 Toyota Prius
Have any of you done a manual transmission or traditional quattro swap on your RS3? I am interested in getting an RS3 and was wondering how difficult and expensive it would be to swap a manual transmission and the traditional quattro (A4, S4, RS4, A5, S5, RS5, etc) all wheel drive system into it.

I have been interested in the 2010 Audi quattro concept for quite a long time, and am trying to figure out the easiest and least expensive way to create it since Audi decided not to make it.

My design constraints are: Excellent Driving Dynamics, Low Weight, Small Size, 2.5L TFSI I5 engine, Traditional quattro AWD, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Interior quality and setup as close as possible to the 2010 Audi quattro concept (apart from number of seats), and excellent exterior design. So I instantly thought the RS3 would be a good car to start with, as it checks quite a few of those boxes already.

I don't really have the money to do the R&D for whether or not swapping AWD systems and transmissions work, so I was hoping someone with deeper pockets than me could offer me some suggestions if they had tried something like this already.

2010 Audi Quattro Concept:
https://www.supercars.net/blog/2010-audi-quattro-concept/
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15128696/audi-quattro-concept-at-the-2010-paris-auto-show/

StuW13

Reactions
City
Southampton
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
RS3 2018 Daza
I am all for doing mad things to cars and especially if people say it can't be done. Can it be done, yes of course but there is a lot of bespoke work to be done which will cost a ton of money. I recently put a different engine and gearbox into my Land Rover which ended up having make one off mounts, a different diff and bespoke prop shafts. That is without all the fabrication for other minor things that needed moving.

The RS3 DSG set up is tried and tested as a massive improvement to anything out 10 years ago and with the likes of IROZ hammering them, with little modification they are well up to the job. You may find this project becomes a money pit very quickly and you end up spending more than buying a new RS3. I must say I loved the bonnet on the concept car, so how about doing an LMS body RS3?