Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Strange Leak Spot

Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
I have an odd leak under essentially the driver side basically in the footwell. It has no scent, but it has left a spot on the floor and I’m not sure what it is. I believe it is too far back and too far to the drivers side to be transmission related. Any ideas? CC29DD5F-01EF-4425-AF41-7AD55E02D922.jpeg

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
ahh so your the same guy on audizine site. lolz :p

to answer you, i would say since in going through a hole that doesn't carry any fluids drains itself try looking towards more removing any shielding you can around it. but remember when you drive any wind force you get will push it back.

i would approach it towards anything under the engine. i recently have had issues with my water pump (again). the first time it was repaired under warranty. now im not sure since its past mileage and year warranty.

OP
S
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Thread Starter #3
I sure am, thank you for the response! Any idea what fluid it might be in that area? I checked the transmission and that seemed fine, no indication of any low fluids, doesn’t smell like gas (or smell at all) so I’m really curious what it could be.
thanks again!

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
not sure. its not how i usually diagnose. sorry im not that good.

what i am good at is digging. so i would say take off all the shrouds and coverings from the bottom first. work you way up towards the top.

if that still eludes you (sometimes me too) do a thorough wash under the body with all the covers off and the engine. front, top, and backside. then drive for a couple of days to see if there is anything new.

my assumptions:
not gasoline. it would evaporate unless your pouring out continuously.
coolant. my current issue now. its everywhere underthere.
engine oil.
brake fluid.
just water condensation.

OP
S
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Thread Starter #5
not sure. its not how i usually diagnose. sorry im not that good.

what i am good at is digging. so i would say take off all the shrouds and coverings from the bottom first. work you way up towards the top.

if that still eludes you (sometimes me too) do a thorough wash under the body with all the covers off and the engine. front, top, and backside. then drive for a couple of days to see if there is anything new.
thanks a ton, I appreciate that and will be crawling under the car this week to do exactly that. I appreciate you!

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
awesome. happy i could help.

try to take photos for us here and we all can be with you on your journey to fix this.

OP
S
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Thread Starter #7
I sure will! As for your assumptions I agree it is likely not gas. I have had a coolant issue before but the water pump replacement seems to have solved that as I am not losing coolant or needing to top off any more, I’m just baffled that it may be water but not drying at all. Brake fluid and oil I’ve ruled out because there is no scent or low fluid on either of those. This should be a fun project!

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
dont be surprised as it might be one of those as its such a small amount that's smeared down there, you might not be able to smell it. its something i had as well and it turned out to be coolant but dripping very slowly. not in the same spot as yours. couldn't smell it either. im now on a full downpour as i increased my boost and the weak point on the water pump area is showing its true face now. and i did have my water pump warrantied before. it seems to be a common repeatable issue. as of a few weeks ago found out that a brand new version came out. version P. the previous is version M. so i may have just lucked out on when this decided to break. i hate reinstalling a known defective version.

OP
S
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
Thread Starter #9
dont be surprised as it might be one of those as its such a small amount that's smeared down there, you might not be able to smell it. its something i had as well and it turned out to be coolant but dripping very slowly. not in the same spot as yours. couldn't smell it either. im now on a full downpour as i increased my boost and the weak point on the water pump area is showing its true face now. and i did have my water pump warrantied before. it seems to be a common repeatable issue. as of a few weeks ago found out that a brand new version came out. version P. the previous is version M. so i may have just lucked out on when this decided to break. i hate reinstalling a known defective version.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! When your water pump have out, where do you happen to see the leak appear?

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
the leak is everywhere. on the floor and on the hoses. initially, i think i saw it near the back of the subframe and surrounding area but i never gave it much care at the time. like you i didn't see anything short in the reservoirs so i ignored it. now that its full blown, anyone can tell its there for sure.

Reactions
City
Miami
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2020 Audi S3
add me as a friend on audizine Dannyboi88

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
just finally got a good week of tests. no more leak.
the other part of my leak is with the hose coupler. it was leaking as well.