Q5 Fuel Economy????

czkid

Reactions
I have a 2015 2.0 Q5 with a fuel economy problem. The vehicle was purchased 10 months ago as a Certified Audi Used Car and is due for it's 55K inspection. I have repeatedly queried the service advisors at my local Audi dealer with no success as to the problem. In a nutshell, the highway economy has never met the 28 mpg rating.

I am a professional engineer, late semi-pro driver for VW/Porsche distributor, and characteristically exceed mileage ratings. My former autos were both VW TDi, a 2013 Passat, and a 2014 Sportwagen... both which delivered highway economies in excess of 50 mpg. My current experience shows the following:

Constant Speed 70 mph - 22 to 23 mpg; 65 mph - 23 - 24 mpg; 60 mph - 24 -25 mpg; 55 mph 25 - 27 mpg (secondary roads)
Tire Pressure - 40 PSI cold Fuel - 93 octane Costco Fuel Additive - Audi additive added twice during the last 10K miles.

Previous owner may have used cheap fuel as the mileage has improved slightly over the last 10K miles. I monitor the economy mpg display constantly. On occasion there have been brief, but significant improvements in the "instant" mileage which leads me to question if a sensor that affects economy might be failing or the computer algorithms are messed up.

Do any of you have suggestions as to tests that need to be performed or recommendations for me to pass on to the Audi techs, or is the 28 mpg rating a myth?

Thank You, CZKid

ATXQ5

Reactions
Keep in mind the MPG doesn't account for optional larger wheels or any extra options you've added that may take up more weight. My average is around 24mpg but I drive with a heavy foot.

irhmsd1

Reactions
Forget the gauge on the dash. Do your own math

Record the mileage on the odometer

Fill the car

At next fueling record current mileage and calculate how many miles you traveled

Fill the car and note how many gallons it took

Divide the distance traveled between fill ups by the gallons it took to refill it to see the true MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tchotcho

Reactions
City
newark
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 audi q5 2.0t
my Audi q5 2012 wouldn't start when I change the high fuel pressure pump with an aftermarket one, when I put back the old one, it took a while to start, the fact that my check engine light is on due to high-pressure fuel pump. i when ahead and changed the pump again, my car wouldn't start, I even swap it with the old one but it wouldn't start, any I fix ?