Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

How To: Audi S3 front license plate mount removal

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Here's a quick how to on how to remove the front license plate mount from the Audi S3.

Items Needed:
T-20 Torx Bit
Plastic Trim Removal Tool
Blue tape to prevent scratches on the grill

audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-1.jpg

There are four points where the bracket mounts to the grill.
audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-1B.jpg

Remove the two T-20 Screws at the bottom.
audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-2.jpg
audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-3.jpg

I used a tint squeegee to widen the gap between bracket and grill.
audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-5.jpg

I used a trim removal tool to push the c-clip back towards the motor to release them. You may need to jiggle the bracket back and forth in addition to applying pressure to force the clips off.
(I would also suggest using some blue tape on these areas if you are worried about scratching the grill)
audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-6.jpg

Mount removed, looks much better.
audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-7.jpg

Metal C-Clips holding the upper portion of the mount.
audi-s3-removing-front-plate-how-to-8.jpg

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
This is awesome and exactly what I needed.

Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
Very cool how to.

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Very well documented write-up. I have always ordered my cars w/o a front plate bracket. However, since the local cops have seen unprecedented budget cuts they have taken to writing chicken-poop tickets to boost revenue. So now they are going after the front plate violations. Consequently I installed the front plates on my current DD (now for sale) and my '10 Carrera 4S coupe. I did not check the front plate delete box on my S3 order. I will consider how to still meet the spirit of the law when I get the S3 by seeing if there is another location I can mount the plate that will not look odd. I recently saw a Nissan GTR where the owner had a license plate decal made and installed on the front of his GTR. It was almost regulation size and looked a lot better than the actual plate and bracket. I may consider doing that. I do not believe a cop would get their panties in a bunch if they could see and read the "plate".

djdosage

Reactions
State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Can you install this afterwards. Mine came without a front plate mount - but in NJ they are d**ks about it, and so I need to put a plate on. I just ordered the tow-hook kit, and will try that, unless someone suggests otherwise?

OP
S3Fan

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #6
Can you install this afterwards. Mine came without a front plate mount - but in NJ they are d**ks about it, and so I need to put a plate on. I just ordered the tow-hook kit, and will try that, unless someone suggests otherwise?
Tow hook mounts are the best and yes you can install this afterwards.

SW_S3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Audi S3
I got a Plat-Y-Pus from cravenspeed

I could not stand to have the plate over the grill.

EcongaS3

Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Very nice how to, yet on the facelift version i think 2017 and 2018 models, the frame comes as one whole peice attached to the grill, yet i?ve seen other s3?s like mine without the plate frame, i will post a picture later today so you can see how it is part of the grill and can not be removed, any help on where or how to get the grill without the plate frame for my S3.