Hi. If someone can pls help, I need a quick bit of advice. Thank you !

Reactions
Hello to everyone, thanks for having me aboard !
I am considering signing a contract in 24hrs time for a demo Alltrack 1.8 litre petrol with driver assist. Official fuel consumption records in Australia state this vehicle uses 6.8 litres per hundred kms, however I have been reading numerous reviews stating that it is more around 9 litres plus. I do mainly highway travelling at 110kmh and a bit of 80kmh bitumen mountain driving, am a sedate driver currently driving a 2010 Ford Focus diesel (getting 5.9 litres per 100).
Could you pls advise what might I expect the ?real world? fuel consumption figures (litres per 100) for this vehicle to be, given my driving ?profile?. I would also like to know if this vehicle is considered ?reliable? ?
Took this vehicle for a drive, loved it however I felt the 9 plus litres per 100kms was a bit high compared to my Ford.
Your input will be much appreciated !
Thanks.

Reactions
I average 9 litres/100 kms around town, but on the highway it'll drop to around 7. I don't drive to conserve fuel either, so you could possibly get better. Reliability wise, mine is 11 months old with no issues.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Hi Winchy,
Happy New Year to you and thank you very much for your quick reply, especially given its so early on New Years Day ! I absolutely love this car and it ticks all my boxes, it's just that I had been very scared off with the reported combined average 9 to 10 litres. I was hoping I might be able to get about a combined fuel consumption of around the mid sevens with my type of driving. Can i ask you do you think mid sevens is realistic and have you tested other fuel 'grades' apart from 95 RON ?
Thanks very much for your reply and I do hope other members might be able to let me know what consumption they get with their Alltrack....

Reactions
Happy new year mate. Never too early for me. Out walking the greyhound at 3.30 every morning
Averaging 7s may be a little optimistic, but as mentioned I've never driven conservatively .
I've always used 98RON, so I can't comment different fuels.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Thanks Winchy,
Would it be correct to say that the 98RON would give better economy that the standard recommended 95RON ? This may all sound a bit 'tight arse' but I tend to keep my cars for a very long time, so this is a bit of an important consideration for me ! Does your Alltrack give you a average fuel consumption total since it was 'born' ?
Cheers n big thanks

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
and I should have asked (if I may), how happy have you been with the Alltrack ?

Reactions
Just checked. Long term avg is 9 and since last fuel up 9.4.
The 98 v 95RON fuel debate is a long standing one. I've been told I waste my hard earned buying 98 but i still do. It's only a few $ extra per tank full so no big issue personally.

Reactions
No complaints with the car. It's done everything we bought it for. We needed it to replace our Amarok as my wife was quite ill and couldn't get up into the fourbie. Probably get back into another Amarok soon though.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Very big thanks mate and can I also 'bug' you with another question pls ? Is your avg 9 primarily urban/city driving, highway driving or equally both and are you happy with your car (e.g. would you buy it again after now owning one) ? BIG THANKYOU !

Reactions
No worries. My use has been roughly 95% city/ urban use, hence the high fuel usage. Yes, I'd buy another Alltrack for sure! If I knew that I'd be doing mostly highway driving I'd most likely get the 135 TDI. Ive heard the new 7 spd wet clutch DSG on those is awesome and of course the economy of a diesel too. No good for the oil burner doing short runs though.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Can't thank you enough mate for your advice, very much appreciated ! The diesel was a lot lot more $$ compared to the demo petrol (with driver Assist package) that I have my eye on.
I have been a little surprised that the Alltrack would appear to consume more than half again of my 2010 Ford Focus Diesel's 5.9 average, but i suppose I am not exactly comparing 'apples with apples'. If I decide to go ahead with the Alltrack I have to go to VW tomorrow to sign an 'end of year' deal which is a great negotiated price.
I hope some of the other members get to read this thread before tomorrow and can possibly give me their consumption figures relating mostly to 'real life' highway consumption use for their petrol Alltrack. Big ask tho on New Years Day especially when nursing dreaded hang overs etc....
Good testimony that you would buy the car again. Thanks again Winchy for taking the time answering my barrage of questions .
Cheers and again Happy New Year to you !

Last edited:
Reactions
I average around 19-20mpg.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Thanks for that ! Can I ask if that average is based on mainly city/urban driving, highway driving or equally both ? Thanks

Nokian

Reactions
I'm in the mountains of NW USA, and our records over the past 9 months (80% highway) suggest we get 5-10% more than is officially listed. On long highway trips (6-700 miles at 65--75 MPH we improve to a 15% increase.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Thankyou !

Reactions
Did you sign for the Alltrack today [MENTION=114]unclelegend[/MENTION]?

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Hi Winchy,
Yes I did, pick it up Thursday from VW Robina.... Its quite a coincidence I am selling my Suzuki Jimny (manual) due to my wife’s poor health, and am picking up the Alltrack as a replacement for it and my Focus. Totally different cars for different uses however we will see how we go !

Reactions
Thanks for that ! Can I ask if that average is based on mainly city/urban driving, highway driving or equally both ? Thanks
Hi [MENTION=114]unclelegend[/MENTION] yes its mixed driving.

Reactions
Well done [MENTION=114]unclelegend[/MENTION]. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

OP
U
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Thanks Winchy !