Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

Haldex Sucks!!!!

jlowe99

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Well I just went for a boot in the snow. It is a perfect (at least for driving on snow) -20 here with a nice layer of hard pack on the parking lots. I have my Blizzaks on (WS80s) so I'm thinking this is going to be great. What a disappointment! The car's AWD system absolutely sucks! First it starts with power in the front, then by the time it figures out it should put power to the rear it all seems to go to the rear. When you are trying to rotate the car it doesn't want to let you (and yes the stability control is turned off) and then when you want to power slide the car around the corner its like there is nothing going to the front wheels.

I'm waiting for a Haldex controller but I'm not sure that will fix it either.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
I'm glad you posted your take on this, been wanting to hear some real world feedback on winter driving.

OP
J

jlowe99

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #3
My big regret is putting the winter tires on the S3 and leaving my Evo with summers. Should have done it the other way around. I don't think there is anything that compares to an Evo in the snow (although the STI is close).

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
My big regret is putting the winter tires on the S3 and leaving my Evo with summers. Should have done it the other way around. I don't think there is anything that compares to an Evo in the snow (although the STI is close).
The STI would be better in snow than an Evo in my opinion. I've never driven my S3 in snow, even though there's supposed to be a big snow storm in my area soon, but in the road, the S3 is good, regardless of how Quattro sucks.

OP
J

jlowe99

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #5
The STI would be better in snow than an Evo in my opinion. I've never driven my S3 in snow, even though there's supposed to be a big snow storm in my area soon, but in the road, the S3 is good, regardless of how Quattro sucks.
I had an STi before the Evo. It is also very good. Both are good at rotating the back end when you want it to. Their awd systems are very effective at allowing you to control the rotation of the car when it is sliding ala rally car style driving.

The S3 is good if you want to drive in snow and not get stuck. Where it lacks is when you want to go fast.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
I had an STi before the Evo. It is also very good. Both are good at rotating the back end when you want it to. Their awd systems are very effective at allowing you to control the rotation of the car when it is sliding ala rally car style driving.

The S3 is good if you want to drive in snow and not get stuck. Where it lacks is when you want to go fast.
How does the S3 lack in going fast? It is able to go from 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 S3
I haven't driven the Haldex in the snow, but so far in the rain I've find it superb.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
I haven't driven the Haldex in the snow, but so far in the rain I've find it superb.
I drove it in the snow this morning going to work, it seems pretty good. I want to get Blizzak WS80s, with the downsized 17" wheels, so I can have improved traction in the snow. Haldex seems to work fine with me, haven't had an issue with it so far.

OP
J

jlowe99

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #9
How does the S3 lack in going fast? It is able to go from 0-60 in under 5 seconds.
I'm talking about going fast in the snow. To go fast in the snow you need to be able to rotate the car so that you use the power to drive you towards the apex of the corner. Hence the reason you always see rally cars going sideways around a corner. To go fast around a corner in the snow is basically a controlled crash. You approach the corner at a speed that you could never do driving as you would on dry pavement. You flick the back end out so you are facing the apex and then you use the power to drive the car towards the apex as you enter the corner. If you do it properly you get a nice arc through the corner but you are basically steering with the back of the car. If you can't control the rotation so that the car is pointed towards the apex when you want it to you can't go fast in the snow. My point is that the Haldex system is far less able to do so than the systems in the STi and Evo and hence gives you far less confidence to be able to drive the S3 fast in the snow. Having said that it is only at the limits that I am referring to , not driving around town.

As for how quick the S3 is compared to my Evo. The stock S3 accelerates at exactly the same rate as my chipped Evo (Cobb Access Port Stage 1) so once the S3 is chipped it will be significantly quicker :)

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
I'm talking about going fast in the snow. To go fast in the snow you need to be able to rotate the car so that you use the power to drive you towards the apex of the corner. Hence the reason you always see rally cars going sideways around a corner. To go fast around a corner in the snow is basically a controlled crash. You approach the corner at a speed that you could never do driving as you would on dry pavement. You flick the back end out so you are facing the apex and then you use the power to drive the car towards the apex as you enter the corner. If you do it properly you get a nice arc through the corner but you are basically steering with the back of the car. If you can't control the rotation so that the car is pointed towards the apex when you want it to you can't go fast in the snow. My point is that the Haldex system is far less able to do so than the systems in the STi and Evo and hence gives you far less confidence to be able to drive the S3 fast in the snow. Having said that it is only at the limits that I am referring to , not driving around town.

As for how quick the S3 is compared to my Evo. The stock S3 accelerates at exactly the same rate as my chipped Evo (Cobb Access Port Stage 1) so once the S3 is chipped it will be significantly quicker :)
I've never driven the S3 in snow before, so I gave no idea. I want to get Blizzak WS80s for the car with 17" downsized wheels for better snow traction. Cars tend to go slower in snow, and the Haldex system is less capable than an STI so it won't go as fast.

Speaking of speed and chipping, I want to get some Cobb tuning stuff and some other crap that comes with it as well, to possibly improve its 0-60 time. I think it will also improve how fast it goes in the snow if it's driven properly in the snow.

OP
J

jlowe99

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #11
I am a HUGE WS Blizzak fan. I always go for the extreme winter tires. I've had WS50, WS60 and now WS80s. I wouldn't use anything else. You just can't drive them like normal tires on dry pavement or they will vaporize.

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
I am a HUGE WS Blizzak fan. I always go for the extreme winter tires. I've had WS50, WS60 and now WS80s. I wouldn't use anything else. You just can't drive them like normal tires on dry pavement or they will vaporize.
I've driven the stock tires in the snow today with the S3, and I discovered it's really slow in snow. I have not ordered the Blizzaks yet, and my 18" stock tires have snow in the tread. I didn't even attempt to go fast in the snow, even though as suggested by some people to get into an apex. I just don't want to go fast in snow on a car.

OP
J

jlowe99

Reactions
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
Thread Starter #13
I've driven the stock tires in the snow today with the S3, and I discovered it's really slow in snow. I have not ordered the Blizzaks yet, and my 18" stock tires have snow in the tread. I didn't even attempt to go fast in the snow, even though as suggested by some people to get into an apex. I just don't want to go fast in snow on a car.
Ahhh then you are missing one of the great joys in life :)

Most people have no concept of the speed you can drive in the snow with the proper equipment. My favorite rally car corner is a dual apex curve up a hill that is posted at 30mph (although it is quite comfortable for most people on dry pavement at 50) I do it at 70 mph in the snow. Absolute heaven :)

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Audi S3 Prestige
Ahhh then you are missing one of the great joys in life :)

Most people have no concept of the speed you can drive in the snow with the proper equipment. My favorite rally car corner is a dual apex curve up a hill that is posted at 30mph (although it is quite comfortable for most people on dry pavement at 50) I do it at 70 mph in the snow. Absolute heaven :)
Yesterday, before I saw this post, I decided to go fast in the snow and took your advice, but it was completely flat in that area. It was curvy as well. It was enjoyable. Went up the same road twice.