Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

2017 S3 Black Optic center caps

Brad_B

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
So I am going full flat black on my S3 and have had the OEM Black Optic rims powder coated black as well as all exterior badging replaced with flat black badging and darker window tint (pics coming soon).

The shop kind of screwed in that they did not put black lugs on like I requested and I had also asked them to spray/vinyl/something the center caps. I am going to get around the lugs by installing black lug covers which will be simple, but the center caps are a little tougher.

What I would prefer to do is remove the OEM caps, spray them myself, and then reinstall. I know there are center caps out there that can be bought but there are tons of horror stories with fitment etc.. So a couple of questions:

- Anyone know how easy/hard the center caps are to remove with the wheels on? Ideally the shop would have removed them with the wheels off from the back, but oh well. I have read stories about people even using strong suction cups to remove them without prying (like using a gopro suction cup or any windshield mount device).
- If they turn out to hard to remove without damaging, I might try to buy new center caps. Any ideas on which ones would be best?

Thanks in advance.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
They are super easy to pop out. Just remove the ring, gently pull on those tabs and pop them out.

OP
Brad_B

Brad_B

Reactions
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 S3
Thread Starter #3
Thanks S3Fan. The image is helpful and that matches what I thought they looked like.

However, I am trying to do this without removing the rims so I am not sure how I can access to the ring and the tabs like you mention. Am I missing something here? or is it going to be just too difficult with the rims on?

Thanks again.

S3Fan

Administrator
Staff Team
Reactions
State
AZ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Audi S3
You might end up breaking those tabs if you leave the wheels on.

Thanks S3Fan. The image is helpful and that matches what I thought they looked like.

However, I am trying to do this without removing the rims so I am not sure how I can access to the ring and the tabs like you mention. Am I missing something here? or is it going to be just too difficult with the rims on?

Thanks again.

Muad'dib

Reactions
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 s3
Plastic dip is the easiest and most inexpensive fix. Happens to look great too. Do not compare to old examples. It is fantastic now